login

online now

We have 120 guests and no members online

search

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How does the GinSing generate sound?

How does the GinSing generate sound? 5 years 8 months ago #271

Hi,

I am using the GinSing for a project. I am incorporaing it into my presentation, and was planning on explained how the GinSing works and how it generates sound.

I am speciically talking about poly mode (that is the one I am using). I was going to explain that the GinSing uses 6 paramters to generate sound: note, waveform, frequency, distortion, duty cycle, envelope.

However, I was looking for more detail. Is there a specific algorithim or method that the GinSing uses? Where can I find this information?
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by administrator.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How does the GinSing generate sound? 5 years 8 months ago #272

Also, what is the difference between poly mode and synth mode? Can we not modify waveforms in poly mode?

Re: How does the GinSing generate sound? 5 years 8 months ago #273

The waveform generation is done using software wavetable synthesis. The GinSing IC is actually a PIC18F ( peripheral interface chip ) that runs a microcode program that internally stores amplitude levels in a table that is scanned based on the desired output frequency. The PIC output uses PWM ( pulse width modulation ) to vary the duty cycle of a fixed output frequency, which is fed into an analog filter that converts the pulse width into analog volume. The program that runs in the Babblebot IC has enough horsepower to generate up to 6 simultaneous waveform outputs, each known as a DCO ( digitally controlled oscillator ), and perform mixing and modulation as part of the waveform generation. I would suggest reading more about this in the SoundGin datasheet, which is available in our downloads section and viewable from a link on the front page paragraph.

The difference between poly mode and synth mode is only conceptual and provides two different interfaces to the same control on the Babblebot IC. Synth mode exposes all the features of the Babblebot IC in a 1:1 correlation with functions available on the chip. Poly mode is a software simplification that configures the Babblebot to act as 6 identical DCOs that is ideal when you want to create up to 6 simultaneous voices typically used for musical instruments.

To illustrate the difference, consider this example. In synth mode, you can have one DCO frequency modulate another, a second DCO amplitude modulate another, and mix the output. In poly mode, there is no modulation because these 3 DCOs would operate as their own voices.

Hopefully that information helps a bit. Please let me know if you would like more clarification.

Re: How does the GinSing generate sound? 5 years 3 weeks ago #349

Hey Guys my name is Mark.GTfan i think that there much difference between them like in Synth Method the workstation is resolved to the route regularity.In this condition the workstation will stay updated to this regularity.Thanks!!

Double Ended Beams
Last Edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by markspend01.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds