online now

We have 104 guests and no members online

search

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How do silence a voice

How do silence a voice 3 years 5 months ago #593

I want to use poly mode to transcode musical scores. The code for the arduino would simply be to read the notes for the various voices and the durations - but there are times need to "code" a "rest" or silence on a voice. Is there a value for that in the setnote method ?

--MattGanis
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How do silence a voice 3 years 5 months ago #594

Hi Matt, sounds like a fun project. Poly mode uses an ADSR envelope curve to best simulate musical instruments such as horns, strings, etc. The R in this acronym is for Release, and determines how long a triggered voice will continue to play after you tell it to stop (release). If you set this value to zero, it will stop immediately such as it would for something like an organ. For something like a stringed instrument you'd probably want time for the sound to die out to be more natural.

Poly mode itself does not have any concept of time outside of the ADSR, so you'd probably want to manage the timing of note triggers and releases (and hence rests) based on the composition. In the musical sense rests are measured in time with the signature of the composition, so the amount of actual time between release of a note and the trigger (or retriever) depends on the tempo, rest type (i..e whole, half), and the time signature (how many beats per note).

I hope that helps. Feel free to continue the discussion here so we can follow your progress.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds