login

online now

We have 102 guests and no members online

search

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Limited pins available-can I get away with no cts?

Limited pins available-can I get away with no cts? 5 years 11 months ago #131

I'm building an Arduino based robot and hoping to add voice synthesis to it but with 6 pins to the motors, 3 pins to the bumpers, 2 for sonar and one for IR, all I have left are two pins. The rs232 pc example in the soundgin PDF doesn't have any connection to the cts/buffer half full pin, so can I get away with not connecting to that pin?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Limited pins available-can I get away with no cts? 5 years 11 months ago #134

Yes, you can. The first pin that you can get rid of is the overflow pin, which you can disable simply by pulling the jumper and using a pin value of 0xff for it in the begin() call. Caveat - when you don't use the overflow you can overrun the chip with data and you may start loosing stuff. You have to send quite a bit of data for this to happen, so in voice applications I think it might be rare.

You can also get rid of the receive pin if you are not querying any data - for that pin you just pull the jumper. As long as you are not calling read() functions it should be fine.

So in the end, you can just just one pin for GinSing. You can refer to this page for information on which jumpers you can pull:

Jumper Configuration

Re: Limited pins available-can I get away with no cts? 5 years 11 months ago #135

Thank you!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds