online now

We have 89 guests and no members online

search

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: GinSing works; SoundGin does not

GinSing works; SoundGin does not 6 years 6 months ago #132

I can compile/upload all GinSing example programs and hear the sounds. :)

I installed SoundGin, then compile/uploaded ConsoleRelay, then installed the capacitor between reset and ground, with the negative side on the topmost (ground) pin per instructions.

I start up SoundGin and see all of its UI. The UI is active. When I click on keys on the piano keyboard, I can see keys going down and back up. However, there is no sound from the GinSing (as there was with the example programs). I DO hear a repeating "dung" (dull bell sound) from the Windows PC (not the GinSing) which I suspect indicates some kind of error. It starts a few seconds after I click on a key on the keyboard, and repeats every 2-3 seconds. :(

Using File/Play Carol of Bells, and click Play button, I see numbers in the box. They keep going up. No sound. Also none of the "dung" error? sounds from the PC.

I tried File/Open and chose the first .sgs file. No sound. Also none of the "dung" error? sounds from the PC. But maybe there is a button somewhere I need to press to start the play sequence?

Can you help me make SoundGin work?
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by administrator.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: GinSing works; SoundGin does not 6 years 6 months ago #133

Hi Mark.

The dong sound you are hearing is the timeout bell on the PC, which is symptomatic that the capacitor is not doing its job. The basic problem is that the Arduino does not handle DTR, which the PC does, and as a result it resets after a few seconds. The dung sound stops when playing carol of the bells because it sends data at a fast enough rate that the DTR never times out the connection.

If you actually see the LED light up on the board, you should always hear sound. I suspect this is not the case here, and that the connection is dropping. What type and value of capacitor are you using? It should resemble the 10 uF cap that is on the board near the amplifier IC ( there are two of them side by side )...
The following user(s) said Thank You: MarkColan

Re: GinSing works; SoundGin does not 6 years 6 months ago #136

Thanks for the quick reply.

The capacitor is a 10 uF 35 v electrolytic with the - connected to GND. It is a few years old, though ancient. I will test it, and also try a different one, then report back.

Re: GinSing works; SoundGin does not 6 years 6 months ago #137

It might also be that some Arduino boards have different reset circuitry. Looking around it seems that some people have had better luck using a resistor based on the rev of the board. I have tested the capacitor method on both rev2 and rev3 Uno boards that I have in stock with success.

Re: GinSing works; SoundGin does not 6 years 6 months ago #138

My Arduino is a recent purchase, looks like the rev2 in terms of its pins (not rev3), and has a surface mount processor.

Can you describe the resistor method, specifically the resistance and where you would connect it (Reset and ground again?)?

Re: GinSing works; SoundGin does not 6 years 6 months ago #139

Hmm, I have that board and have been able to fix it with the capacitor. The basis of this "fix" comes from an article that you can find here:

Disabling Auto Reset On Serial Connection

I would take some of the solutions with a grain of sale due to the age of the article, but it is what led me to the capacitor solution.

Re: GinSing works; SoundGin does not 6 years 5 months ago #145

I still cannot get SoundGin to work with my GinSing.

My original post was on an Uno with surface-mount. As reported before, Windows was making a sound which administrator said was probably the time-out bell. The solution was to try putting a 10uF electrolytic with - on Reset and + on GND. It did not help.

I recently got an Uno R3. I repeated the experiment with a different 10 uF capacitor, and also with a 120 ohm resister (2%). In both cases I hear no sound from the GinSing, but also no timeout sound from Windows. And this problem is only for SoundGin; the other example programs work fine.

My GinSing would be much more useful if I could make SoundGin work, rather than experimenting with sounds with frequent recompiles.

Can anyone help? Is there official support from either the GinSing folks or the people who wrote SoundGin? :dry:
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by MarkColan.

Re: GinSing works; SoundGin does not 6 years 5 months ago #146

It sounds like the problem is still with the DTR function on the link between the Arduino and the PC. Can you run the connection test under Tools->Serial Config? You should see a green box when you perform the test. You may also want to try running without flow control.

Another thing to try is to run the Carol of the Bells immediately when starting up - since it slams the interface it avoids the timeout issue. Basically once you hear the bing its pretty much over from that point on. If you do not hear any sound, it may also be that the relay program is not working correctly.

FWIW I have not tested the console against the latest Arduino 1.0 R3 board, although I do have one here to test. I will give that a go and hope I can duplicate the problem. One of the notable changes on the new board is a more "robust" reset circuit, which may mean another solution may be required. I will test it over the weekend and post the results.

The original SoundGin console is cannot be supported as we don't currently have the source code, but we are working to get it and possibly port it to java for consistency; I hope to report on that in the near future. In any case it sounds like the program is working OK; it still sounds like its a timeout issue.

Re: GinSing works; SoundGin does not 6 years 5 months ago #147

I have done some testing on both the pre-1.0 board and the UNO R3, and I have been able to replicate this problem. By changing out only the boards (both running the same relay program) I have found that the R3 does not communicate at all with the console software.

Can you please verify that the Tools->Serial Config does not communicate with your board? In my test, I installed the R3 and then checked the hardware manager to find out which COM port it was using. I then started the console software and it would not communicate using the Test Serial Connection button. If you are seeing the same thing, I can send you my working pre-1.0 board as an interim fix until I work more with the R3 to figure out a solution...

Re: GinSing works; SoundGin does not 6 years 5 months ago #149

I have made very good progress. :cheer:

It was a stupid problem: :blush: I did not know I had to set the COM port for SoundGin. You could save other newbies from pulling out their hair by updating your instructions to put a step in for setup and testing.

Testing COM shows green results for 1, 3, and 5. The correct Arduino port varies for reasons I don't understand; I have seen both 4 and 5. Setting it to port 5 allowed Carol of Bells to play correctly. Adding the capacitor allowed the keyboard to play correctly, the speech keyboard makes phonems, and the preset noises work.

For a future version, consider adding a capacitor and switch to the GinSing board. Having the switch face sideways would allow GinSing to work with another shield stacked on top. Unless, of course, you can find a way to make all this unnecessary.

One thing that makes SoundGin hard to use is that the screen is messed up on my screen. The easiest way to understand what I mean is to look at the screen shot. If you have any questions or solutions, please let me know. BTW my display is 1920x1200, a 24" Dell Monitor.

The preset noises were for me the easiest way to get a start on using the various oscillator and mixer controls.

All of the above was using my Arduino Uno R3. I will go back and try the older surface-mount Arduino and report later.
Attachments:

Re: GinSing works; SoundGin does not 6 years 5 months ago #150

Great news Mark, and thanks for working through the problem to the end! :P

I will indeed make note that people check the serial port of the Arduino before attempting to use the console in the document. I appreciate your feedback as we want to make sure people avoid going through the same troubles in the future.

I'm pretty sure the original console software does not support such high graphics resolution - they probably did not have PCs with that capability anytime near when the original program was written. We are considering writing a successor program in java that will update the functionality as well as the interface, so stay tuned!

The capacitor is a good idea - we had considered that on the 1.2 board but as we did not have the UNO R3 in hand we decided to wait. Also you should be able to stack as many boards as you like and still keep the cap on the top board since it sits in the header of whatever board may be on top.

Congratulations on figuring out the problem - have fun!!

Re: GinSing works; SoundGin does not 6 years 5 months ago #152

Update - we have done more testing on the UNO R3 against the console software and found that is 100% compatible with the boards we have tested. This means that you should have no problem with any of the currently available UNO version boards using the capacitor method outlined in the user's guide.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds