We have 81 guests and no members online

search

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ginsing not singing

Ginsing not singing 3 years 10 months ago #518

Hi,
Just received my GinSing and built it easily thanks to the excellent instructions. But I can't get it to work, I've tried two different Arduinos, both of which work fine by themselves but the GinSing doesn't make a sound or response, the LED has never lit up, and I've tried both jumper settings too.

I think my solder work is fine and I've redone many joints just in case of a problem. But no joy. Any idea what might be the problem?
Attachments:
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by administrator.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Ginsing not singing 3 years 10 months ago #519

Sorry to hear that, there is certainly no joy if even the light does not light up. That would suggest either there is no power or that communication is not working, but it does like like from the pictures that it should be working. If you are running the sample programs make sure you use the settings as defined in the programs - the lower of the combinations of jumper settings.

It might be worth a try to put the chip into demo mode to see if the chip is operational. You can do this by temporarily connecting pin 13 to ground:

"The Demo Select input is read by the internal control system and when connected to Ground, will cause the
Babblebot IC to sequentially play all the Allophones. This pin is a logical inputs that requires a High or Low logic level. For normal operation, leave disconnected, or connect Demo to V+ through a resistor."
The following user(s) said Thank You: notclickable

Re: Ginsing not singing 3 years 9 months ago #521

I put the chip on a breadboard and connected it to power, according to the chip documentation, then touched pin 13 to ground whilst the sound output was connected to an active speaker. I didn't hear anything musical... do you think the chip might be dead?

Re: Ginsing not singing 3 years 9 months ago #522

If you heard anything it would be a good sign. In demo mode it rifles through the phoneme set so you should hear something like a, ah, agh, e, ee, eo, o, ...

Re: Ginsing not singing 3 years 9 months ago #523

Sorry, to be clear - all I heard was the scratchy sound of me holding the leads from the Babblebot onto the audio output. No phonemes or other robotic speech, or synthesised sounds of any kind.

Re: Ginsing not singing 3 years 9 months ago #525

If you did not see the light light up either it might mean that the chip is kaput. I would try tracing each of the pins on the IC to the endpoints (either to ground or power or another IC) to confirm all the electrical connects are valid - it would not be good to replace the chip only to have another one fail in the same socket.

Re: Ginsing not singing 3 years 9 months ago #526

I'm not sure I'm capable of doing that...so I resoldered every joint and now it works. Well, the sound works, I still can't get the LED to light up! Thanks for your help!

Re: Ginsing not singing 3 years 9 months ago #527

So, I have a singing Ginsing, I've installed PCLink on the Arduino and can hear that read out its instructions, but I can't get the Tweaker software to recognise the Ginsing, whether I have a 10 uf capacitor between 5v and Reset or not. Any tips for getting it working?

I'm running OS X 10.9.5, with Java 6 from Apple.

Re: Ginsing not singing 3 years 9 months ago #528

Great! Cold solder joints are hard to find, so your approach to fix it was spot on. On the LED I would suspect it might be in backwards - they seldom fail and they won't work if the anode is in the cathode side of the circuit. As a test you could touch another LED on the contacts on the bottom of the board to see if it lights up.

Re: Ginsing not singing 3 years 9 months ago #529

Two ways to get more info - either check your console output and/or launch from a terminal widow - either should give you some output text that can help define the problem. The most likely cause that came in with Lion is that the installation has to be done as administrator - if not it won't install the serial interface code (RXTX) that tweaker uses to talk to the board.

Another possibility is to make sure that the capacitor is placed with the proper polarity, or that the PCLink program is not installed on the Arduino prior to operation.

Re: Ginsing not singing 3 years 9 months ago #530

Thanks!
The PCLink software is running, I can hear it. The 10uf capacitor is in with the correct polarity.

Launching the GSTweak.jar from the command line, I get the following error for the tty port:

Experimental: JNI_OnLoad called.
Stable Library
=========================================
Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Java lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
RXTX Warning: Removing stale lock file. /var/lock/LK.039.019.016
Invalid Response From Device [gnu.io.CommPortIdentifier@38650646] expected [118] got [-1]
Port In Use Exception [gnu.io.CommPortIdentifier@b09dc35] Unknown Application

and the port in use exception for the cu port.

Re: Ginsing not singing 3 years 9 months ago #531

The invalid response is the application looking for the Arduino and timing out, which is consistent with the port in use failure from the OS. It appears it might be either looking at the wrong port via the pulldown selection, or another program is using that port already (perhaps another Tweaker program?)

Re: Ginsing not singing 3 years 9 months ago #532

Hi, thanks for your help.

No, I'm not running another tweaker program and I have no other programs using those ports.

I only have the option of the two normal ports for Arduino, in my case /dev/tty.usbmodem1411 and /dev/cu.usbmodem1411

Selecting the first one (tty) on the GSTweak interface returns the first error above, and selecting the cu port returns the second error.If I reverse the order of selecting the ports, I still get the errors in the same order.

In either case the GSTWeak.jar reports 'Ginsing not found on port (the port)'
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by notclickable. Reason: typo

Re: Ginsing not singing 3 years 9 months ago #533

Could you try reinstalling as Administrator? Its a long shot, but it might make a difference.

Re: Ginsing not singing 3 years 9 months ago #534

Yep, I already tried sudo ing the installation as per your previous suggestion. I get the following output:

> running GinSing_V4.1 installation script

> copying examples to sketch folder
> moving old GinSing examples to trash
> copying GinSing libraries to sketch folder
> moving old GinSing examples to trash
> configuring system for tweaker

> installation succesful

Re: Ginsing not singing 3 years 9 months ago #535

Oh, sorry for the wasted time. I was thinking about this and I'm wondering now who owns the lock files on your system - is it possible the lock files were created by a different user or were created previously by a root user? You could try checking the existence and removal of the files through the console window, and also see if they are getting created at all when Tweaker runs.

Check out /var/lock and see what happens when you do rm -rf LK* in there.

Re: Ginsing not singing 3 years 9 months ago #536

Thanks, I tried deleting the lock files but this didn't help, unfortunately.

Over the weekend I bough another Arduino, a Uno, and tried this out with the Ginsing today. It works fine and can be detected by Tweaker and Babblesound.

So it seems that the problem is/was that Ginsing doesn't work with the Arduino Leonardo that I was using.

Re: Ginsing not singing 3 years 9 months ago #538

Great! I'm glad we finally got it working for you.

Did you happen to try not using the capacitor for the Leonardo? The reason the capacitor is needed on the Uno is because there is a hardware reset issue that disconnects the serial interface - the capacitor keeps enough voltage to avoid this. I think they fixed this circuit on that board.

I would have suggested that sooner, but usually that just results in a 'cannot find' error and not a locked file error, which in the past I have associated with a problem on the OS.

Re: Ginsing not singing 3 years 9 months ago #539

Hi,

Yes, thanks for your help!

I've tried two different Leonardos with and without the capacitor, but it doesn't get detected either way.

I'm not sure what you mean by the locked file error, as the error I get is "Ginsing not found on port $the_port" as I posted before.

Re: Ginsing not singing 3 years 9 months ago #540

I suspect the issue is probably related to this statement:

Separation of USB and serial communication.

On the Leonardo and Micro, the main Serial class refers to the virtual serial driver on the board for connection to your computer over USB. It's not connected to the physical pins 0 and 1 as it is on the Uno and earlier boards. To use the hardware serial port (pins 0 and 1, RX and TX), use Serial1. (See the Serial reference pages for more information.)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds