online now

We have 98 guests and no members online

search

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: RCA?

RCA? 7 years 2 weeks ago #3

I would much rather see something besides an RCA on the final version. I realize this is a prototype though, so it will likely change on the kit version. Also, an lm386 onboard would be a great help. Like the speakjet shield has.
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by administrator.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: RCA? 7 years 2 weeks ago #4

Thanks for the comments, greatly appreciated.

Yes, the RCA will not be in the final design. The board layout that I am finalizing will use a 3.5mm stereo jack ( with L+R tied on the board ).

My first revision of the board had an LM386 equivalent w/ speaker terminals (along with the jack), but I am concerned about additional part cost. I am currently considering either making another board with that option, or even making another shield that is just a LM386; that may sound goofy, but might be useful for other applications as well.

Let me know your thoughts. I have attached the working pre-release board layouts to give you an idea of the complexity/part differences.

GinSing_V1_Amp.png

GinSing_V1_LineOut.png
Last Edit: 7 years 2 weeks ago by administrator.

Re: RCA? 7 years 2 weeks ago #6

Attachment GinSing_V1_Amp.png not found.

I would wait for the lm386 version. How about a board that gives that as a jumper selected option and user supplied parts for the lm386 circuitry.

Re: RCA? 7 years 2 weeks ago #7

That is a definite possibility. In the amp layout above I wired the jack and amp subcircuit in parallel to allow both to run simultaneously. It does mess a bit with the volume, but maybe its a good compromise.

Re: RCA? 7 years 2 weeks ago #8

Upon further consideration, I think adding the amplifier circuit might be a feature worth adding. You can look forward to it on the first release!

Re: RCA? 7 years 2 weeks ago #9

That's great news. I look forward to getting one as soon as they become available.

Would it be possible/advantageous to run multiple soundgin chips for more synth voices? Any thoughts?

Re: RCA? 7 years 2 weeks ago #10

It is theoretically possible. The chip is controlled via commands that set register values as well as execute commands, but getting both chips synced on two 9600 baud serial lines might be a challenge. It would also require another 3 pins for communication from the Arduino. The chips would not be able to communicate directly with each other so you could not gang them in any way, but it would make for some interesting stereo output.

Re: RCA? 7 years 2 days ago #13

• DalekKun
First of all, hi everybody!

I love de Ginsing chip idea. I think it's the most interesting option to add nice sound to the Arduino. No wav playing, no PWM sample stuff, just chip sound style (or kinda!).
Now i noticed the Babblebot thingy... is it the same?

Anyway, back on topic, for me 3'5 jack is ok! Tho, i think the LM386 is important. And cheap. Maybe the other components it needs are expensive? :huh:

Anyway, good job!
Last Edit: 7 years 2 days ago by DalekKun. Reason: typo!

Re: RCA? 7 years 2 days ago #14

Thanks! We obviously see great value in providing the Arduino community with a true waveform synth that also does speech and polyphony - we've used it for our projects and have not found anything like it out there.

We have been in discussion with our good friends at JT Technology, the manufacturer of the Babblebot IC (powered by SoundGin). The GinSing hardware will be using the Babblebot chip, but they currently have no plans to release an Arduino shield; although they will be releasing a USB board to connect directly to the PC.

The production boards (which we hope to have in any day now) have an LM386-N4 (1 watt) onboard so you can connect directly to a speaker, and will also have the 3.5mm jack as well. The additional cost we believe outweighs the cost for most folks; I'd say its another $5 on the retail price.

Re: RCA? 6 years 6 months ago #95

Update - GinSing V1.2 uses the NJM486 output amplifier and has both a 3.5mm output jack as well as speaker pads on the circuit board. Running on USB (5V) you should get about 700 mW of power, and on 12V about 1.2 W - that should be plenty of oomph for most applications.

Thank you for your suggestion!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds