online now

We have 105 guests and no members online

search

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Switching out Babblebots

Switching out Babblebots 6 years 5 months ago #148

I have a pair of Babblebot chips from Ken that I never quite got working correctly on the breadboard using either the direct serial or the Ginsing libraries. If I try switching them into my brand new, beautifully-functioning Ginsing board to see if they were the problem or if it was the programmer (me,) a) will they work and b) will I screw up the Babblebot that came from Ginsing in the socket when I try to put it back in?
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by administrator.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Switching out Babblebots 6 years 5 months ago #151

You should be able to drop them right into the socket on the GinSing board with no worries - just make sure you have the orientation correct; if you put it in backwards there is a good chance you can brick the chip.

The Babblebot is simply a PIC 18F, the same as the SoundGin chip, and both run the same firmware. For this reason the GinSing board should serve as an excellent testbed for either, and you can switch from one to another as you like.

Re: Switching out Babblebots 6 years 4 months ago #153

I tried the switch out-it kind of worked. The problem is that the level was super low on the switched out chip and when I put the one that came with the GinSing back in, I got the volume back. I can't imagine anything in the firmware causing that!

Re: Switching out Babblebots 6 years 4 months ago #154

Now that really is bizarre. The output of the PIC18F is PWM so that the output always varies between 0 and 5V - only the duty cycle of the output changes to control the volume. Is it possible to read the serial # on the chip to see if its a PIC18F?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds