online now

We have 134 guests and no members online

search

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: SoundGin operating Voltage

SoundGin operating Voltage 6 years 10 months ago #26

Anyone know if the SoundGin can operate successfully at 3.3V?

a|x
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by administrator.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: SoundGin operating Voltage 6 years 10 months ago #27

Yes, I believe it can operate down into the 2.5V range, but the output voltage will be diminished; this would require more gain for sound amplification. This might suggest that you may see a reduced S/N ratio, but I have not tested that to see.

Re: SoundGin operating Voltage 6 years 1 month ago #160

I'm trying to power the Arduino and GinSing with a 3.3V battery and charging circuit... when I hook the charging circuit up to Vin, the GinSing starts making random robot noises. It's kind of funny in a creepy sort of way but it's definitely unintended operation.

Any idea what causes that? I'm guessing low voltage?

Re: SoundGin operating Voltage 6 years 1 month ago #161

Interesting. My guess would be that the chip is running in demo mode, which speaks all the allophones in sequence in a repeating fashion. Demo mode is triggered when the Demo Select pin (13) is taken to ground. According to the datasheet:

Demo: Demo Mode Select

The Demo Select input is read by the internal control system and when connected to Ground, will cause the Soundgin to sequentially play all the Allophones. This pin is a logical inputs that requires a High or Low logic level. For normal operation, leave disconnected, or connect Demo to V+ through a resistor.

The GinSing board does not have this pin connected, so perhaps by taking this pin through a 1K resistor to Vin you may be able to make it behave. There should be no chance of damaging the chip if you take it to either Vcc or ground through a current limiting resistor as a test.

Re: SoundGin operating Voltage 6 years 1 month ago #164

That's odd... and you think that's happening just from the lower voltage?

It's working perfectly at 5V so it's nothing to do with the installation...

Re: SoundGin operating Voltage 6 years 1 month ago #165

I do indeed find it odd. I am only guessing that what you are hearing is the demo mode - it might be the chip has entered a weird state or there is junk coming down the serial line, but to be sure this test would confirm or deny its related to the demo mode enable logic. If what you hear does not sound like demo mode we can try some other experiments ( for example pulling off the jumpers to see if a serial interface issue ).

Re: SoundGin operating Voltage 6 years 1 month ago #166

See attached robot seizure.

I don't think it's demo mode. It's not typical from case to case. In the attached file it hangs up and I reset it halfway through, you can hear me click the power switch. The second time it goes silent instead of hanging.

Once again if I power it through the USB port I have no issues.

Could it be a grounding issue? Since the USB port is grounded through my PC?

I'm going to try pulling up the demo pin now.

Re: SoundGin operating Voltage 6 years 1 month ago #167

It wouldn't let me upload an M4A. Here's the zip.
The following user(s) said Thank You: administrator

Re: SoundGin operating Voltage 6 years 1 month ago #168

I'm sorry, but I did not get the file. If you can send to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. I'll take a look and add it to your last post.

From your description it sounds like perhaps its not an issue with demo mode at all. The next thing to try would be to see if by removing the jumpers if the problem still exists, that would indicate if its something local to the Ginsing board itself rather than something with the serial interface.

Re: SoundGin operating Voltage 6 years 1 month ago #182

Found something else troubling... I assumed it was a problem using 3.3V instead of 5V, and I switched to a 9V battery to power the board. The Arduino will step down the 9V input and supply 5V at the specified pin.
But I ended up killing my Babblebot chip.
I examined some of the traces on the board, and there's a trace that goes to the Vin pin... this is a problem because it puts 9V into the GinSing circuit, the board should only take power from the 5V out pin on the Arduino...

Re: SoundGin operating Voltage 6 years 1 month ago #183

The trace from Vin powers the amplifier, but there is a backvoltage diode that prevents Vin from reaching the Babblebot chip. The idea is that you run the amplifier at up to 18V using Vin but the 5V line is only used to power the Babblebot. In the attached schematic you can see D1 is used to protect the Babblebot from a voltage that is approximately 0.7V greater than Vin.

Hopefully this is the trace you are referring to. I would not expect that running voltage greater than 5V would cause any damage at all - we often run at 12V just to get the best performance from the LM386. Can you confirm that D1 is on the trace you are seeing, or is it perhaps something else?
Attachments:
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by administrator.

Re: SoundGin operating Voltage 6 years 1 month ago #184

Ah I see that, my mistake.

But that doesn't change the fact that wiring up a 9V battery blew out my chip...

Re: SoundGin operating Voltage 6 years 1 month ago #185

I'll send you another one. I would like to know how it could happen though; we frequently run at 12V without any problems. It is possible that you had both the 5V ( i.e. USB ) and the 9V line both running at the same time?

Send me your mailing address to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I'll send you out another chip.

Re: SoundGin operating Voltage 6 years 1 month ago #186

Wow.
So you were actually right on when you asked about the jumpers... I added an input for a toggle switch to enable and disable the program and I decided to use pin 2. :blush: I did some more checking and I realized it.

Thanks for your help, I have it working with a 9V now.

Re: SoundGin operating Voltage 6 years 1 month ago #187

Hooray!
So your Babblebot IC is OK?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds