search

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: TVout broken by #include <GinSing.h>

TVout broken by #include <GinSing.h> 6 years 3 weeks ago #107

When I try to use Gingsing with TVout,
loading #include <GinSing.h> stops the video in the following code
why is it ? what can I change to get both working ?
Thanks

#include <TVout.h>
#include <fontALL.h>
TVout TV;
#include <GinSing.h>   
void setup()   
{                
 TV.begin(PAL,184,72);
  TV.select_font(font8x8);
  TV.println("Video test");

}

void loop ()
{

}
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TVout broken by #include <GinSing.h> 6 years 3 weeks ago #108

I would suspect that the TVOut uses the same interrupt that SoftSerial does. The SoftSerial library is used by GinSing to allow communication on pins other than the ones used to program the Arduino.

It is possible that this situation may be fixed with the latest version of the Arduion IDE since they have integrated SoftSerial into the base system, but I have not verified this. I have a TVOut board here that I can experiment with - hopefully I can give you a better answer by the end of the week.

Re: TVout broken by #include <GinSing.h> 6 years 3 weeks ago #112

Ok thanks
I reverted to IDE 022 because I had some communication problem with the Arduino (not responding)
But I may run the two versions if your test is successful

Re: TVout broken by #include <GinSing.h> 6 years 1 week ago #125

My apologies for the delay in this issue. I believe that it is possible to run both GinSing and TVOut together if you do not need to receive information from the GinSing board.

The specific issue is that the GinSing serial read ( based on SoftSerial ) uses the same interrupt as the TVOut for reading data asynchronously. Although the GinSing lib does not currently have the ability to disable this feature, I hope to roll this feature into the next release within the next week or so. Please let me know if you are still interested in a quick solution - I may be able to provide a temporary source code mod in the interim.

Re: TVout broken by #include <GinSing.h> 6 years 6 days ago #126

Yes interested in a solution but not in a hurry
I want to get Pong speaks the results and make some sounds

Thanks a lot

Re: TVout broken by #include <GinSing.h> 6 years 2 days ago #130

I took a look at this, and have confirmed the problem is that both TVOut and SoftSerial do not play well together. There is an interesting thread about this subject here:

nootropic design forum

The suggested solution in this post is to replace SoftSerial with a polling serial interface that does not use interrupts to perform reads, but I was not able to find a version that works on anything other than pins 0/1 ( native UART ). So it turns out this may require a more complicated solution where the read functionality can be bypassed and associated interrupts disabled. Perhaps someone more familiar with the interrupt masking might be able to modify GinSingSerial.cpp/h so that when receive is not used ( which is the majority of the cases ) the interrupts are also disabled.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds