online now

We have 91 guests and no members online

search

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Parse string and speak known words

Parse string and speak known words 6 years 4 months ago #33

Out of curiosity, does the lib provide any functionality for parsing a string and speaking the known words found in it?

I want to be able to download to strings for it to speak at run time.

If not it seems like it should be a fairly straight forward task to implement my self.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Parse string and speak known words 6 years 4 months ago #46

The chip basically plays phonemes that you instruct it to say. In actuality its a bit fancier because it morphs between phonemes ( and inflections ) to make for smoother speech ( this is what an allophone is ).

In any case, the translation is not done on the chip, but as you suggest its easy enough to do the translation beforehand and store them on the Arduino for playback. I do recall that there was a free version of the Soundgin PC software that would to the translation. I have tried tried it but this might be of use:

soundgin console software
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by administrator.

Re: Parse string and speak known words 6 years 4 months ago #47

I don't know if you saw this in the sample code ( see main page next to mp3 ), but this should give you a good idea on how the phonemes are used to speak:
void doIamGinSing()
{
  v->begin();
  v->setNote ( C_2 );

GSAllophone welcome[] = {_IE , _A , _M ,
                           _BENDDN , _J, _I , _NE , 
                           _SE ,  _PITCHDN , _I , _PITCHDN , _NGE , _PA0 , 
                           _ENDPHRASE };

v->speak (welcome);
    delay ( v->getMillis (welcome ) + 500 );

}
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by administrator.

Re: Parse string and speak known words 6 years 3 months ago #50

The soundgin console software produces a 404 now. Any idea if there is still some version available? I'd also love a library words->phonemes without having to create every word myself. It seems like everyone would be writing the same code over and over again (with slight variations depending on how we prefer the words to sound). Maybe we could set up a public repository where users could submit their word-to-phonemes code and we can compile a library that way?

Re: Parse string and speak known words 6 years 3 months ago #52

Hmmm, I was able to download a copy that worked on my Vista laptop. In any case, I have forwarded this post onto JT Technology in hopes of getting a quick answer for you. It would really be great to start getting a list of common spoken words that we could share to avoid reinventing the wheel.

I will update this post as soon as I can get some more information for you.

Re: Parse string and speak known words 6 years 1 month ago #94

Good news! We have permission from Savage Innovations to release the console software for free download! This will enable you to build your own phrases and use the phrase dictionary built into the program. Check out this link:

console interface

Enjoy!
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by administrator.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds