online now

We have 77 guests and no members online

search

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Using GSTweaker in linux

Using GSTweaker in linux 4 years 7 months ago #443

I looked around the forum but found no topics on using the GSTweaker software in linux. Since it is a java jar file, it should work in theory.

Executing the jar file works as it should, but the arduino is on the /tty/ACM0 port and is not detected. I'm not a java programmer, but realized the Arduino IDE is java based as well, so what works for it, may work with GSTweaker.
The world of google searching lead me to RXTXcomm.jar, which the Arduino uses the native version in Ubuntu. For an explaination of RXTXcomm this link is a great source. GSTweak includes its own version in the included lib folder from the zip file. Replacing the included file with /usr/share/java/RXTXcomm-2.2pre2.jar from Ubuntu (copy the file to the GSTweak lib folder and rename it to RXTXcomm.jar) allows the program to detect the Arduino on the /tty/ACMX port. Overall it seems slugish compared to running in windows but the presets work and the software is usable in linux.

Software Used:
-Kubuntu 13.10 64 bit
-Arduino IDE 1.0.5
-Latest GinSing library and software

Hardware Used:
-Arduino Uno
-GinSing v1.2

The above applys to most ubuntu based distros, and should be valid for version 12.04 and up.
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by jdcglasnost.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: administrator

Re: Using GSTweaker in linux 4 years 7 months ago #444

Great sleuthing job jd; I'm glad you went the extra mile to make it work. Certainly the weak point in the Tweaker is its reliance on RXTX, but at least its available on most platforms. ;-)

Re: Using GSTweaker in linux 1 year 10 months ago #867

Can it be used in Linux?

Re: Using GSTweaker in linux 1 year 10 months ago #868

As indicated above, the program is in Java, so it will run in you have Java runtime installed. I would refer to the link above to ensure you have the proper RXTX Java library so it can see your serial ports. I would say give it try, and report back if you have any issues and we can try to work through them.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.354 seconds