online now

We have 64 guests and no members online

search

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Request More Info on Basic Capabilities

Request More Info on Basic Capabilities 5 years 8 months ago #255

Does GinSing have a storage capability that allows a programmed routine to be downloaded? Or must it remain connected to a computer through a USB cord? What is the storage capacity?

I need a fully autonomous capability. I am trying to add a music/voice capability to a humanoid robot. The robot does not use an Arduino, but it would have the capability of powering and triggering an Arduino based "back pack" that could contain a small speaker and boards. Obviously it cannot remain tethered.

I could find no mention of storage in the specs, FAQ, or other areas on this forum.

Thank you -RoboTed
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Request More Info on Basic Capabilities 5 years 8 months ago #257

Hi RoboTed - thanks for your question.

The GinSing board does not in itself contain any memory capacity - its best to think if it as a device that accepts commands to make sounds and/or speak and generates output to the speaker. So in this respect, the Arduino that it is connected to contains the program and other memory that you would want to use to control it.

In reality the voice chip ( Babblebot ) does contain a small amount of register memory ( PIC18F ) that stores off state for generating sound, but this is not accessable as general purpose memory in any way.

The Arduino has memory that can be allocated from code space ( i.e. char myMem[128] ) that can hold whatever you want, and can be statically initialized if so desired. The Arduino Uno has ( according to arduino.cc ):

Flash Memory 32 KB (ATmega328) of which 0.5 KB used by bootloader
SRAM 2 KB (ATmega328)
EEPROM 1 KB (ATmega328)

Hopefully that helps explain why memory is not mentioned to date in the forum - its really in the realm of the Arduino and its associated programming. If that does not help answer your question, let me know and I'll see if I can clarify.

Re: Request More Info on Basic Capabilities 5 years 8 months ago #258

One other thing I should mention is that the GinSing sits atop the Arduino board, so there is not required cabling once you have written the program on the Arduino. When the Arduino boots up, it begins running the program standalone. The GinSing can operate from as little as 3V, but the on-board amplifier works best at 12V; the Arduino has a specific power jack that supports up to 18V, and the GinSing will tap off the Arduino power to operate, so you just need to provide power to the Arduino and hook up speakers for the system to function as a single unit.

Re: Request More Info on Basic Capabilities 5 years 8 months ago #260

Thank you for your two replies of very useful information. You have encouraged me to go back to my design stage to see if I can work something out. -RoboTed
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds