online now

We have 169 guests and no members online

search

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: First GinSing project

First GinSing project 6 years 9 months ago #51

This is my first ginsing project. I basically just set up 2 potentiometers. One to control the pre-set sound to use (considering making this a push button that cycles through the available sounds) and one to control the delay between triggering the sounds.

I'd like to add some things like a small LCD display so I know which sound I'm on, maybe a detented potentiometer to control switching between pre-set sounds, voice, synth modes, etc. Then of course build it all out into its own box with actual soldering and such.
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by administrator.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: First GinSing project 6 years 9 months ago #53

Excellent! I think you might find this shield interesting. Coincidentally I just ordered one of these today, and I'm really looking forward to using it to do some similar tinkering:

Danger Shield

As soon as I get mine in I'll let you know how it works out. The only potential problem I see is that the push buttons are on pins 10-12, which is in conflict with the GinSing but I hope to reroute those if possible ( or only connect the one on pin 12 ).
The following user(s) said Thank You: therealbrad

Re: First GinSing project 6 years 9 months ago #54

Thanks! I just ordered it myself. This is going to be a lot of fun. I don't think rerouting or just not including the buttons will be a problem. I can always bypass the board and just wire them directly to the Arduino.
The following user(s) said Thank You: administrator

Re: First GinSing project 6 years 9 months ago #55

I got my danger shield in today, but it's not what was advertised. I only got 1 buzzer (not even a place on the board for a knock sensor), I didn't get the dip socket so I have to solder the shift register chip right to the board, I only got 1 red LED and 2 yellow ones, and a bunch of resistors thrown in the bag. I haven't lit up the LED yet, but it doesn't look like the one described, either.

I'm disappointed as I was looking forward to being able to use the knock sensor and the buzzer, but it looks like I can only have it do one of those things.

I'd be interested to know if you got what you thought you were getting.

Re: First GinSing project 6 years 9 months ago #56

Ahh.. I see what happened. I ordered it from Sparkfun and not the link you provided. I couldn't find a way to purchase from that link and I assumed I would be getting the same thing from the sparkfun website. It's not the same kit but very similar.

Just be careful to check which kit you're buying.

Re: First GinSing project 6 years 9 months ago #57

I just got mine in today. I'll be building it shortly and I'll let you know what I got as well. Sorry for the trouble on the link - they may have shifted some of the pages since I posted the link.

Update: I have a working library for my DangerShield, and it works great. Be aware of what pins you use for GinSing as those components will not be able to function, but other than that its a hoot for tweaking. The library is available for free download here on the site. Have fun!
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by administrator.

Re: First GinSing project 6 years 9 months ago #58

I couldn't wait and just finished building mine. Instead of the knock sensor, they have a capacitive touch sensor which make a lot more sense. Everything works wonderfully. I'm going to start writing some software and planning a case for it. I think I'll mount the Arduino with the GinSing to the bottom and the Danger Shield to the top with a wire harness between them. I think that will be more durable and allow me to easily avoid the conflicting pins between the Danger Shield and GinSing board. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Re: First GinSing project 6 years 8 months ago #59

Sounds great! I'm looking forward to see what you can up with. Let me know if you get stuck anywhere when writing the code.

Re: First GinSing project 6 years 8 months ago #60

FWIW I have create a software library for the Danger Shield - it makes a c++ class to interface the board, and contains a simple display system for outputting text through the 7 segment display.

You can download the library and sample code from the download section of the website.
The following user(s) said Thank You: therealbrad

Re: First GinSing project 6 years 8 months ago #63

Here's an update on my project:
I bought a bag of these pre-crimped wires: www.pololu.com/catalog/category/73
and connected them to various crimp connector housings: www.pololu.com/catalog/category/70
to build a harness that connects pins from the Uno w/ GinSing stacked board to the Danger Shield. Using the harness, I rerouted the conflicting pins to new pins and updated your header file to reflect the new pins.

I ran a quick test and it looks like everything is working. Now I just need to mash together some ginsing and danger shield code to get a danger shield-controlled ginsing board. Finally, I'll hand it off to an industrial designer (a major benefit of living with one) to build a case for the prototype so I can play gigs without worrying about it falling apart on me.

I'll post a video of the wire harness and functioning code when it's done. Then another once the case is built and assembled.

Re: First GinSing project 6 years 8 months ago #64

Nice. I look forward to seeing the full-up build. If you look in the download section now you'll see a danger shield library that I coded up yesterday - it might speed up some of your development. In using the library I had to stub out the setup code for the first two buttons to avoid conflicts with the GinSing pins, but other than that it should work fine.

Re: First GinSing project 6 years 5 months ago #119

My open projects :
- speaking pomodoro timer (including : vocal announcement , gong signals , increase concentration sounds eg. sea, rain ... )
- midi in to voice pitch and allophone selection via keyboard
- dissecting the (excellent) provided code to learn & apply this to another speaking devices (old timer Votrax SC01/ SP0256-AL2 / Speak & Spell, ... )

see my blog
The following user(s) said Thank You: administrator

Re: First GinSing project 6 years 5 months ago #127

Hi I got the ginsing before I got the babblebot. I also got the dangershield and arduino uno.

As for getting sketches to work together. I noticed some pin problems.

Heres from the danger board sketch

// Pin definitions
#define SLIDER1 0
#define SLIDER2 1
#define SLIDER3 2

#define KNOCK 5

#define BUTTON1 10
#define BUTTON2 11
#define BUTTON3 12

#define LED1 5
#define LED2 6

#define BUZZER 3

#define TEMP 4

#define LIGHT 3

#define LATCH 7
#define CLOCK 8
#define DATA 4

So what this says if I get this right... Temp, buzzer, light sensor, data slider3... and button 1 2 and 3 are affected depending on the setup...?

I am trying to pick my poison at this point until I get the Teensy setup with this one i guess..?

I am super excited to get this making sound. Super fun!

-Gordy

Re: First GinSing project 6 years 5 months ago #129

In a sense, yes you may need to decide on what parts of the danger shield you don't want to use. You can also run the GinSing with as little as one pin ( just the send ). The danger shield is great but it is quite a pin hog.

Re: First GinSing project 6 years 2 months ago #159

Ill have to order one of these soon, no doubt.
And this specific project looks quite right down the alley of where i want to go !!
Bless !!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds